Select Page

Nevada Crime Rates & Statistics

Jun 29, 2017Blog

National crime rates are on the rise. Law enforcement reports cite gang violence and drugs as just some of the reasons for the increase. Nevada crime rates are above the national average. When considering Nevada crime rates, it is important to consider the fact that Las Vegas attracts large numbers of tourists. The Las Vegas Convention & Visitors Authority reports that a record 42.9 million people visited southern Nevada in 2016. Add the additional half-a-million residents of the Las Vegas area and a large number of people in one place presents more opportunity for crime.

Crime Rates At A Glance

The crime rate in Nevada is 19% above the national average. Property crimes account for 79% of the overall crime rate, with violent crimes accounting for the remaining 21 percent.  To put this in perspective, the Nevada property crime rate is 8% higher than the national average. The violent crime rate in Nevada is 92% higher than the national average.

Incarceration By The Numbers

The number of incarcerated adults in Nevada (per 100,000) is 15% higher than the national average. Nevada has 16 counties with 25 jails and adult detention centers. These jails and centers house over 6,000 inmates. The Nevada Department of Corrections operates 7 institutions, 10 conservation camps, and 2 traditional housing centers. The total prison population is a little over 13,000.

Types of Crimes

Nevada faces similar types of crime as other states. Types of property crime include burglary, theft, and motor vehicle theft. Violent crimes include murder, rape, robbery, and assault.

Las Vegas, Tourism, & The Casinos

Tourism is a major contributor to not only, the Las Vegas economy but to the local workforce. The industry experienced 35.5 billion in visitor spending in 2016. One in four people living in southern Nevada is directly employed in the tourism industry.

Being home to numerous casinos presents its own unique set of crimes for Nevada. Gambling crimes are a serious problem and range from intricate to bizarre. The Nevada Gaming Control Board has seen it all and continues to be amazed at the tactics people use to try to cheat the system. One of the most unusual tricks was using cards with special ink that required special contacts or glasses in order to see them. James Taylor, the gaming control board’s special investigator, shared this and other stories at the Global Gaming Expo. Other casino crimes are as simple as distracting a tourist and grabbing their winnings.

What High Crime Statistics Mean For You

It is worth repeating that crime is on the rise nationwide. While Nevada crime rates are higher than the national average, this doesn’t mean you should cancel your visit or move to another city. What it does mean is that crime is all around us and being diligent is imperative. Being prepared is also imperative. Sometimes life has us in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you find yourself arrested in Las Vegas, having a plan in place will make you less likely to panic.

8-Ball Bail Bonds has served Las Vegas and southern Nevada since 2008. The experienced staff has a 3 step approach to the bail process:

  1. They gather information and find a solution.
  2. They work with clients in securing collateral and complete the bond agreement.
  3. They secure release and get you out of jail.

One of the most important parts of the process is how the staff walks you through the process. An arrest is always scary and having someone who is able to calmly help you is invaluable. Having 8-ball Bail Bonds contact information tucked away is like saving for a rainy day. Don’t let crime rates and statistics prevent you from having fun in Las Vegas. If you do, however, find yourself becoming an arrest statistic, contact us. We’re open 24/7 and we’re ready to help you get out of jail.